World's End Press
World's End Press make widescreen pop music as danceable as it is loveable. Renowned for their wild live shows, the band create enough on stage energy to power a small nation. On the back of their single Faithful, the band have been touring relentlessly, reducing every room to a seething mass of flailing arms, sweaty bodies and uninhibited movement. Read More...
World’s End Press effortlessly combine traditional instrumentation with live electronics to create intelligent, widescreen dance music. Drawing on a disparate array of influences – disco, krautrock, house, punk, techno, Jamaican lovers rock – the band have a sound that’s their own. With John Parkinson leading the way on vocals and guitar, the band is powered by the elastic funk of Sashi Dharann on bass and the pulsing rhythms of Tom Gould’s drums, drawn together by the kaleidoscopic sounds of Rhys Richards’ synths.
Parkinson and Richards formed the band as teenagers with personnel and instrumentation constantly changing until 2010, when they settled on the current line up. That same year, the band released three singles. Championed by Australian radio, World’s End Press found themselves touring constantly, alongside acts like Hot Chip, Primal Scream, Bloc Party, Cut Copy, !!! and Metronomy. They also appeared on major Australian festivals including Splendour in the Grass, St Jeromes Laneway Festival, Falls Festival, Golden Plains, Southbound and St Kilda Festival to name but a few.
In 2012, the band signed with independent Australian label Liberation and headed into the studio to record with Dan Whitford of Cut Copy. The result was the infectious single, Second Day Uptown. Beloved by Triple J and community radio, the single also received airplay from BBC6 and Mary Anne Hobbs on Xfm, and struck a chord with the legendary Bill Brewster who tweeted his love of the track. A vinyl EP was later released, complete with remixes from Psychemagik, Slow Hands and Bell Towers.
After touring Australia on the back of Second Day Uptown, World’s End Press headed to the UK to record their debut album with the revered Tim Goldsworthy (DFA/Mo Wax/Hercules and Love Affair). An incredibly fruitful creative collaboration ensued, delivering a debut album of which the band are justifiably proud.
The band will head to the USA in June for some shows with Cut Copy and a couple of their own dates. The album will be released later this year.
- World's End Press' mixtape and interview featured as Modcast #164 on Modular
- World's End Press perform "Reformation Age" live on triple j
- World's End Press Premiere "Reformation Age" On Earmilk
- World's End Press video "To Save Our Love" premiered on Brooklyn Vegan
- World's End Press' "Deadbeat Sweetheart" premieres on SPIN
- World's End Press given big ups from Cut Copy in Elle
- World's End Press' "Second Day Uptown" remixed by Psychemagik featured on Discobelle
- World's End Press featured NME Radar Tip of the Day
- World's End Press' "Second Day Uptown" called "a ridiculously catchy pop-gem" by Indie Shuffle
- World's End Press' "Faith" is "brilliant," says Off The Radar